Napoli Chief Aurelio De Laurentiis in Hot Waters After Shoving Cameraman Ahead of UCL Clash Against Barcelona

Last Updated:

Napoli forward Matteo Politano was giving an interview to Italian television station Sky Sport, at the side of the field, on the eve of Napoli’s Champions League match as De Laurentiis rushed onto the field and asked him player to stop the interaction before going...Read More

Aurelio De Laurentiis. (X)
Aurelio De Laurentiis. (X)

Napoli and its president Aurelio De Laurentiis could face a heavy fine from UEFA after he pushed a cameraman in an ongoing spat with Italian media.

The incident occurred when Napoli forward Matteo Politano was giving an interview to Italian television station Sky Sport, at the side of the field, on the eve of Napoli’s Champions League match at Barcelona on Tuesday.

related stories

    The interview was being broadcast live when De Laurentiis rushed onto the field, yelling: “Politano! Politano! With you (Sky), he’s not allowed to talk."

    Politano was forced to leave, smiling bemusedly. De Laurentiis then turned back to the camera and hurled insults, before pushing the cameraman — who had to take a few steps backwards to avoid losing his balance.

    Italian media reports that De Laurentiis had said he would only allow his players to be interviewed by Neapolitans or journalists who supported Napoli.

    “Sky Sport decides who does Sky Sport interviews," said channel director Federico Ferri in a post on X, formerly Twitter. “I’m speechless at what happened to our journalist and our cameraman: I condemn it without other comments.

    “One thing is certain: we’ll go ahead as always, with professionalism, accuracy, credibility. And courtesy."

    De Laurentiis last month put a halt on pre-match news conferences — apart from when obliged to in the Champions League — and also recently banned the team from talking to DAZN, which broadcasts every Serie A match in Italy.

    top videos

    View all
      player arrow

      Swipe Left For Next Video

      View all

      He has often instigated a total media blackout by the club.

      Napoli play at Barcelona on Tuesday in the return leg of the Champions League round of 16. They drew 1-1 in the first leg, which was Francesco Calzona’s first match in charge after becoming Napoli’s third coach of the season.

      (This story has not been edited by News18 staff and is published from a syndicated news agency feed - Associated Press)
      News sports » football Napoli Chief Aurelio De Laurentiis in Hot Waters After Shoving Cameraman Ahead of UCL Clash Against Barcelona
      Read More
      PreviousNext